My name is Jess and you’ve stumbled upon my blog, A Smith of All Trades. I started this blog in 2012 as a creative outlet, and I’ve been at it ever since. I write about everything from home improvement projects to DIYs to garden tips to all sorts of other random stuff.
Want to know more about me?
- One of my New Year’s resolutions for 2012 was to start my craft blog. Check! It’s probably one of the only resolutions I’ve followed through with — why do people make those anyway?
- My little family is made up of my hubby (Brian), our daughter (Hadley), and our dog (Remmy). My family is my life. I adore them.
- Speaking of family… I’m the middle child. I have an older sister (Allie), a younger sister (Emily), and a not-so-little-anymore brother (Elliott).
- My life goal is to climb a water tower. I couldn’t tell you why, especially since I am a little afraid of heights, but I really want to climb one. Some day it’s gonna happen!
- I am a lifelong Terp! I graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park, with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and I also work at the university at the Robert H. Smith School of Business. I am a graphic designer and communications manager in the Office of Marketing Communications — it’s a sweet gig with great people. I love it.
- I love Bruce Springsteen. He is basically the best musician ever. I even listened to The Boss in my mamma’s womb — that is dedication.
- I love to DIY but I HATE to read directions.
- I’m afraid of everything. Well, not quite everything, but I’m afraid of a lot of things: planes, snakes, spiders, heights, cicadas, slugs, basements, zip lines, traveling by myself… the list goes on.
- I love graphic design and interior design. Any excuse to do a project involving either—I’m in.
- I’m currently a grad student at the University of Baltimore. If they’d offered a master’s degree in canning, that would have been ideal. But since that’s not real, I am studying publications design instead. It’s great.