Today was our 2nd (sort of) Annual MarComm Bake Off at work and I made the most delicious dessert ever: Cinnamon and Sugar Cream Cheese Rolls. They are a recipe from my Great Aunt Dorothy and they are like crack. My sister Emily is always in charge of making them for the holidays, but I figured I’d take a go at them for the competition.
If you want to try this amazing recipe out, you won’t be disappointed. In fact, you’ll be addicted and will likely start making them every year, too. Good luck — it’s a tough addiction to fight, so I wouldn’t bother if I were you.
- 1 loaf of white bread
- 16 ounces of cream cheese
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup butter
- Powdered sugar
- Combine cream cheese, sugar (3/4 cup), egg yolks and vanilla in a bowl and mix with a hand mixer until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Cut the crust off of the bread (discard crust, as well as heels of loaf) and roll each slice flat with a rolling pin.
- Spread a thick layer of the cream cheese mixture onto the flattened bread, then roll the bread into a little log.
- Optional: place on a baking sheet and refrigerate overnight .
- Combine cinnamon and sugar (1 cup) in bowl. Melt butter in a separate bowl. Dip each roll into the butter, then roll in cinnamon and sugar mixture. Place back on backing sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Let cool, then enjoy!
Back to the Bake Off…
The competition was fierce, with nine desserts in the running. Check out these mouth-watering treats. Mmmmmm. Can you say “sugar coma?”
When all of the votes were tallied, we had three winners. Drum roll?
1st place winner of the golden pie plate: Rachel *cheers*
2nd place winner of the silver whisk: Julie *applause*
3rd place winner of the bronze cookie cutter: MEEEEEEEEEEE *And the crowd goes wild! (Or, at least I did.)*
I’m pretty sure one of the first things I said was, “Dana is going to be so proud.”
Man, what a fun day. Try out the recipe. It is officially award-winning 🙂
Also, a big “hey girl, heyyy” and thank you to my coworker Amy for organizing this much-needed afternoon of fun. You’re the best.